About Our Meeting

New Garden Friends Meeting traces its roots to 1754 when Quaker settlers in the area established a regular gathering for worship. Prior to forming New Garden Meeting, Friends in this community had to travel many miles to attend First Day worship at Cane Creek Friends or other Meetings to the east.

Quakers from New Garden tended to the wounded, British as well as Patriots, following the Battle of Guilford Courthouse in 1781. British soldiers who fell in that battle are buried in New Garden Cemetery, adjacent to the current Meeting house. The burial site was sheltered by a great oak that became known as the Revolutionary Oak. The tree survived into the middle of the 20th century, and a granite marker notes its location in New Garden Cemetery.

New Garden Friends embraced Quakers' tradition of education and established a school for African-Americans in the decades prior to the Civil War. Many in the New Garden community worked to abolish slavery, and it is said that Quakers here sheltered many travelers on the Underground Railroad as they made their way northward to freedom.

New Garden Boarding School opened in 1837 to fill a desire by Friends to educate children in an environment shaped by the Quaker testimonies. Today, New Garden Friends Meeting maintains close ties with the institution that evolved from that school, Guilford College.

New Garden Friends Meeting continues to draw on its strong heritage in the Religious Society of Friends whenever members and attenders come together to worship and serve the greater good.